Thursday 31 March 2016

Merachefet

Grammar

Word: מרחפת
Representation: MRKhPT

Transliteration: Merakhfet
Verb: "hovers" "floats in the air"
Strong Concordance: H7363


Exposition

The typical KJV translation of this word is "moved", which removes visual intended.

In modern Hebrew it still is used to mean just that, whether we are speaking of weather balloons or a hummingbird remaining stationary in the air.

The Rashi commentary equates this word with the Old French word "Acoveter" (in the modern French, "couvrir", which speaks of being above something while covering it. In this case, "Elohim's directing power" was not simply hovering over one spot, but completely covered the surface of the waters (the deep).

Whether or not you want to consider that Ruach Elohim was over one spot or all of the waters is irrelevant. Either way of viewing it works within the text. And the fact that Genesis 1:2 is the only place in all of Tanach where this word is used, it makes for the vastness or smallness of the Ruach Elohim to be an interesting consideration.

Other interesting points: This word is modified to be a feminine verb because "Ruach" (spirit) is feminine. And it is in the pi'el (active) form written in the present tense, and therefore rather than "hovered", I will use "hovers" to continue that flavor.

5 comments:

  1. Your explanation helped me a lot. Thank so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your explanation helped me a lot. Thank so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I can't .keep my curiosity. Is real the furniture in the picture for your ilustration?
    It is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I simply googled for pictures and picked one that was the best fit without checking if I could buy it or not!

      Delete
  4. I saw this happen from above the earth in the beginning. I was in Spirit with The Father and The Holy Spirit inside My Spirit. the earth was covered in one ocean with swells of water and God flashed as blue lightning over the ocean. That is what happened. I was there I should know. Elohim

    ReplyDelete